Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Somaly Mam - The Road Of Lost Innocence


For Christmas, I received a Borders gift card - which is awesome - so I decided to go the other day and look for a couple of books about human trafficking.

They didn't have much.

But they did have the book by Somaly Mam, called The Road Of Lost Innocence. I'm sure that this is going to be a heartwrenching story, since Somaly Mam was kidnapped, trafficked, and sold to a brothel. She escaped and now is dedicated to rescue girls who are where she once was.

Her story was told anew this week by Nicholas Kristoff in his opinion column for the New York Times. Kristoff not has written about human trafficking, he did something about it by purchasing two women from the brothels in order to set them free. He was interviewed in the movie Call+Response, and he's fast becoming my favorite journalist.

The other book I was looking for is by another journalist, named Benjamin Skinner. His book, A Crime So Monstrous, came out this past year - I went to the University of Denver right before I left in order to go to a book signing and lecture by Mr. Skinner, but I couldn't find the place.

Hopefully borders.com will have his book - gonna go check now!

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

I ordered that book from her website when you talked about her before . I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
I actually saw it on the shelf the other night when I was at Borders waiting for Kristen to be done with work.
I also ordered one of the bracelets that the girls make.

Adam said...

Awesome! I'm excited to read it.

Those bracelets are cool, I wanted one that the girls from Rapha House made - they were at CIY - but someone stole them all. Shame!