Friday, October 2, 2009

Chab Dai


When - not if, but when - I go to Cambodia, one of the places I will most definitely be visiting is the Chab Dai library in Phnom Penh. Chab Dai means "linked hands" in Khmer (language of Cambodia), and looks to be an amazing organization. If you go to their website, you can find some resources and you can download a pdf file that gives a list of recommended resources. There were several books and movies that I had not heard of, so I'm thinking that when I have some time, I'll be doing some searching for these resources.

I was talking with someone this week about human trafficking, and it fired me up again. I think that one of the reasons that we fail when it comes to acting on our beliefs and our passions is a lack of community. When we feel like we are the only one who cares about a cause - whether it be human trafficking, AIDS, etc. - I think our natural tendency is to think we can't make a difference. But when you find people who are like-minded and have the same convictions and want to do something about it, it helps keep you motivated. I'm hoping that this is the case and I'm excited about the possibilities that this meeting has created to make a difference in this area.

No comments: